Thursday, April 13, 2006

Writing the old fashioned way

I took the time today to write a letter. I didn't type it. I used a pen and real stationery. It seems to be a forgotten art to write real letters any more. I wrote to my aunt that sent me the rosary yesterday. I had to be brief because I didn't have a lot of time, but I did want to thank her for the gift and give her some background on my decision to become Catholic. I really should write letters more often, but it just takes so much time. I have been a very bad pen pal to Prison Pete. Maybe I'll do better this summer when I can spend more time with it.

Although it is good to put pen to paper, I love blogging. It is easier to sit down and type a journal than it is to take the time to write, but sometimes you just need to let it out with pen and paper. Not all things are meant for the blogging world to read. I have poems that have never been finished, three or four journals that get written in randomly, and pages of unsent letters that just needed to be written. I still have my green notebook that held my meanderings from junior high and high school. I wrote a post once about blogging and journaling, how it is therapeutic and I still feel the same. I hate it when my thoughts are dry and I don't have anything major to share. I have found that what I think is my best writing comes from those times I am welled up with emotion. The words tend to just flow out and on to the page. Lately, though, I haven't gotten emotional one way or the other. I don't have a tragic love life to bemoan or frustrations to air. I guess if my writing suffers because I'm simply happy, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

2 comments:

Annabel said...

Yay!!! I am so happy that you are considering RCIA. The thing about it is that it is an inquiry process. You don't have to be committed to joining the Church by going. The class is for you to learn about the Church and the faith. I will be praying for you!!!

I am indeed happy for my son. He got a compliment last night from one of the ladies in the choir. She was remarking on what a gorgeous head of hair he has. He has dark, dark, thick, wavy hair. I think he's going to be a heart breaker!

Summer said...

Last night I couldn't sleep. Nothing new, but, all sorts of things were going through my head. I smiled in the dark when I remembered what day it was and that the Easter vigil is tonight. I am just so happy for you! I'll be thinking of you.