Saturday, May 21, 2005

Am I an conversation snob?

I've been chatting online for a number of years. I don't have a lot of online friends and very few develop into what I'd call relationship status. (Not dating-type, but friendship type) I've mentioned my chatting rules here before, but it's really getting rediculous. Someone IM's me that seems to have what I'd call a "normal" profile and I return their hello. Then it begins to occur to me that English might not be their first language, though their profile says they're from Wisconsin or Maryland or something. Let me give you a few examples:

JUST BRIF A LITTEL TO ME PLS CAN U DO THAT FOR ME TO MAKE MY DAY?

i guss i have to relesse u now ok


tell.... were will u be go to this weeked to chash ur fun

did u been out of usa

ok but the pearson dont say nice about himself other who say that . u with me ?

It's getting to the point that I'm leery about chatting with anyone. I've dealt with the guys that think they're in love with me because they like my picture. Then there is the one that wanted me to come to Morocco to visit him after 5 minutes of conversation. Then there's those that think I must be stupid because they ask me for obnoxious favors like would I cash a check for them and send it to them in Africa or can they send me some goods because they need a US shipping address. Let's not forget the perverts shall we?
Normally I'm not a rude person, but to be honest we're not always ourselves online are we? I'm getting upfront with these guys and it usually ends the conversation fairly quickly.

There is the rare conversation where it's interesting or stimulating or just nice and friendly. It does happen once in a while. You know with someone that has at least finished high school and their first language is English. I don't mean to be a snob about chatting, but is it really too much to ask that someone converse somewhat intelligently?

No comments: