Sunday, March 11, 2007

Lenten Loophole

Last year for Lent I gave up cokes and fast food. I did o.k. with it, but there were times on speech trips where the only thing to eat was fast food. I didn't however make an exception for Sundays. In case you didn't know, Sundays are not part of the 40 days of Lent. Technically, when you give up something for Lent, you don't have to abstain during Sundays. Some people find it easier or more challenging to simply keep trucking on continue their track through every Sunday. This year, I am not going to be one of those people. I do feel kind of bad about giving in to myself, but I did make sure that I was correct on the issue of Sundays being a "Free Day" of sorts. I will still pray a rosary tonight since I am somewhat giving in here. With that said, here's the post I wrote last night in Word.

Not using the internet is so freaking hard. I know it’s been frustrating for my few faithful blog readers, but it’s pure torture for me. I’ve spent the day organizing and transferring music to my mp3 player. And when I say I’ve spent the day, I mean all day. There are so many times that I want to go online and check things out. For example, I have some songs listed that I don’t have the artist’s name. I so want to go and look that up. I really want to read blogs and catch up on everyone’s lives… and it’s only been one day! I did read blogs until I left school yesterday (Friday) afternoon.

I did sleep in today (Saturday)… all the way until 8:00. I was awake at 8:00 but didn’t get out of bed until some time after 9:00. I started creating some playlists on my mp3 player. I have a free trial subscription to the Rhapsody service so I can put all kinds of music on it for free… but the catch is that you can’t record the files to CD’s or anything and you have to keep the subscription going or the music will technically “expire.” But it’s a nice way to sample some cool music.

Now to answer the questions I received:

Leann – My plans for spring break are to sleep, clean the house, clean out the garage (again), sleep, read, watch t.v., and do laundry. Very exciting stuff.

I also think that the DaVinci Code is fiction because the Library of Congress labels it as such. I didn’t agree with the notions presented in the book, but I took it with a grain of salt and enjoyed the mystery of it.

Andrew - Josh’s dad. That’s a whole blog in itself. Josh’s dad was what I would call a kind of “player” back in the day. He was Hispanic, cute, and a talented trumpet player. He was suave and a flirt. He was also a bit pretentious (comes with being a trumpet player). He was smart, driven, and had a passion for music although he eventually became a Chiropractor. I think Josh gets his passion for music from the both of us. He could certainly charm the ladies and when he came into my life I was on the rebound from my first serious relationship. (Another long blog in that story as well.) He didn’t have much of a role in Josh’s life for a long time. He didn’t want me to have him. He wanted me to have an abortion. I wasn’t the first girl he got pregnant, but was the first to have his baby. For the first two year’s of Josh’s life, the only support I got from him was a package of diapers and a gallon of milk. When Josh was able to walk and talk he got more interested in him, but by that time he married the next woman that he got pregnant and had another daughter. I could go on, but there’s a lot of bad things that happened in regard to Josh’s father that I choose not to repeat in a public forum for Josh's sake. He made many mistakes that caused a lot of people and himself grief. Let’s just say that when I heard that he committed suicide, I wasn’t surprised. But I would also like to add that I’ve come to terms with forgiving him for his past actions.
Oh – and I will definitely not give up internet/computer again for Lent. I’m certainly suffering in my own way.

Abbagirl – My love life… oh, you and your sense of humor! I haven’t had a date in over two years now. I’m certainly not breaking any hearts, but that also means that my heart is not getting broken either. I’m not sure if you ever read about the whole Marty thing, but I haven’t even heard from him in almost two months. I guess when the time is right it will happen, but I’m not losing any sleep over my lack of a love life. I just tell myself that I’m too busy to date and I’m starting to really believe it. Really. (Though I admit, I wouldn’t mind going out to dinner with a member of the opposite sex that isn’t my son.)

Well, that’s all the excitement in my world. I have yet to lift a finger in getting things done around the house, but I figure I could ease into it.

2 comments:

Billy said...

I waited three years before I started dating again. Not that I chose to wait for three years. When I had a guy become interested, I had like four guys at the same time. It was weird going from having zero to four. I chose to date only one and I have been with him for two years this Tuesday. Yeah!

Andrew said...

Thanks for the back info on Josh's dad. I was just curious. I hope you didn't mind. He does look suave and like a heart breaker.

So glad to see you online and posting today. I was worried I was going to have to wait a week to hear from you unless you called.

~A