Sunday, November 13, 2011

A day with my son

Josh got in a little after 10 p.m. on Friday night.  He told me that he had spent his birthday playing a new video game.  I told him at least he wasn’t having a baby.  He told me that there is no way that he could handle something like that at his age and he had no idea how I did it.  I think now that he is 21 that he has an even greater appreciation of what I went through in having him and raising him on my own. 

On Saturday morning, I slept in (yay) and then went to the store to get milk and some things I needed.  Since Josh was home, I found the closest donut store and picked up some donuts for him.  It wasn’t that close – still a few miles away, but they were decent.  He played his video game for a while and then we headed out shopping around 1:00.  We went to the mall because there was an Apple store there and his mac’s hard drive had crashed for the second time and he wanted to see about getting it fixed or getting another one.  Luckily I bought a three year warranty so they are fixing it for free.  Only thing is that I will have to pick it up for him in a few days so he won’t get it back until he comes home for Thanksgiving.

After we finished at the Apple store, we had lunch and then did some shopping.  Well, Josh did some shopping.  He found some jeans and a shirt at JC Penny’s.  From there we went to Ross for Less and didn’t find anything.  We went to half price books where Josh found two CDs.  After that we went to Walmart to get a storage cabinet that I wanted to store my office items.  We got it and came home because I had forgotten my cell phone.  I think I’ve made the decision to go ahead and upgrade to the iPhone 4S.  My phone seems very sluggish these days.  So we headed to the ATT store.  I wanted to change my data plan to the minimum in order to save money.  I had been grandfathered into the $30 a month unlimited plan, but when I checked my past usage, I only exceeded the minimum plan of 200 MB once in a year and a half.  I usually use my own wifi at home.  Even if I have to pay $30 to increase my data a few times a year, most of the time I’ll be saving money.  I also signed up to get a discount since I work for a school district.  I was going to upgrade my phone, but they were out and said it would take 2-3 weeks to get a phone.  I decided to wait and consider other options.  I might be able to get one at the Apple store here instead. 

After that, we went to a different mall and Josh found a leather jacket that he liked and two more shirts.  After that, we finally went to Olive Garden for dinner.  I went out on a limb and ordered something different.  I probably should have just ordered what I always do. I ordered the stuffed rigatoni with chicken.  It was ok, but almost a little too cheesy and rich for me.  I ate half of it and will have the rest for dinner tonight. 

Josh is still asleep and I’m going continue reading the next Sue Grafton.  He’s leaving this afternoon to head back to school.  I’m not sure what I’m going to do when he leaves for Tasmania in February.

No comments: