Saturday, November 05, 2011

A Nice Evening Overall

My day didn’t start out very well.  I went to school with full blown allergies that kept me miserable most of the day.  I used kleenex after kleenex.  I was sneezing and stuffy at the same time.  I took an allegra before leaving for school.   I took claritin while at school.  Neither one helped.  At 1:30 I left for a meeting downtown.  I took a box of kleenex with me.  I suffered through the meeting that ended at 4:00.  I didn’t want to be miserable on my date so I came home and took more meds.  Thankfully, they started help a little.  I took a nap for about an hour and then got up and got ready.  My allergies calmed down some so I wasn’t completely miserable.

My date showed up a little before 7:00 and we headed out.  Library guy is really tall.  He is 6’6.  I’m 5’4 if I stand up straight.  He’s nice looking – and looks just like his picture on his profile.  He has a goatee and short salt & pepper hair.  He speaks with an upper midwest accent.  We have a lot in common.  We both drive a Prius, enjoy scrabble – though he’s a nationally competitive player, and of course we’re both librarians though he is actually an archivist. 

We headed out to the restaurant which was about 30 minutes away.  It was pretty crowded that night as a band bus came through with about 200 students.  They said the wait would be an hour and a half but we decided to try our luck.  We got margaritas and sat down to visit.  The actual wait ended up only being about an hour.  In the mean time we just talked.  We talked about our jobs, family, rollercoasters, and Scrabble.  He said he would like to play a game with me and teach me some tricks.  I told him my stats from my iPhone games and he seemed to think that I’m probably pretty good.  He said that I’m probably at a fairly expert level.  We were going to play a game after dinner, but it ended up being kind of late and he had to work today. 

My overall impression is that he seems very nice and intelligent.  I think he might be a little shy and awkward.  He doesn’t have much family and is relatively estranged from them, but he has friends from all over the country because of his involvement with Scrabble.  I think at the very least, I’ve found a new friend in San Antonio.  At the end of the evening he said he enjoyed it and would like to get together again in a couple of weeks since Josh will be here next weekend. 

On the drive home, my allergies started to flare up again.  By the time I got in bed, my nose was so stopped up I couldn’t breathe.  I took a sudafed, but it took forever to kick in.  I tried a very hot shower and it still didn’t help.  I eventually got to sleep once the sudafed worked and I could breathe again.  I slept in this morning which was quite lovely.  My house is immaculately clean at this point so I don’t have anything that I really need to do other than get to the grocery store sometime today. 

2 comments:

Leann said...

It sounds like the date night turned out rather well. He sounds very intelligent and because of it rather socially awkward perhaps? Enjoy your peaceful Saturday and hope the allergies dial it down a notch.
Blessed be

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you had a good time on your date.

I don't know what it is that starts to bloom this time of year but my allergies are bad as well right now.

I enjoy reading your blog.