Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Confession is good for…

me, probably. It’s been a while. I haven’t gone to confession since sometime this past summer. I haven’t been to church since August. I guess advent is as good as a time as any to get back on track. I headed to a church mid-town tonight that had a communal penance service. It was a little different than the service I was used to at my old church. Usually we would gather together and go through prayers and the act of contrition as a group before going to individual confessions. At this church, they just pointed out the different places where the priests would be and we just went individually. Luckily I had my iPhone with me so I could pull up the Act of Contrition since I have yet to memorize it. I guess that means I should go to confession more, huh? But I got through it and now I can fully participate in communion again so I’m looking forward to that. I’ve really missed being a part of a church. I think perhaps that is the biggest things I miss about Canyon – the church family I had there. I don’t miss the job, though I do miss some of my co-workers. I don’t miss going to tournaments every weekend, though I miss some of my fellow speech teachers. I don’t miss the cold weather or the wind.

I’m still fighting the cold that is trying to take over. It has stayed fairly mild, but I just felt kind of blah all day. I had to spend the day getting new textbooks out to the English teachers. After school we had a faculty meeting that droned on forever. I came home and ate some leftover chili and rice before I headed out to church. Luckily they had a ton of priests there so there wasn’t much of a line. I was out of there by 7:18 and got home by 7:40. I took a benadryl a little while ago and it should kick in fairly soon. I think I’m going to read a book until I can’t keep my eyes open.

Josh is coming home tomorrow. He’ll be here until the 21st and then he is going back to Canyon. He’ll come back around January 1st for a week and then he’ll go back to Canyon for a few weeks. After that, he’ll spend a few days in Nacogdoches and then he leaves for Tasmania around Feb. 20 and will be gone until June. I’m excited for him, but am worried and will miss him at the same time. He has come a long way and has become such a brave young man. I’m not sure I could do what he’s doing at his age. It was a big deal for me to pack up everything and move to San Antonio at the age of 41. Of course when I was his age, I just had him and was raising him on my own. I guess that’s my show of bravery.

Well, I’m going to call it a night and try to get some rest and get rid of this cold.

No comments: