Thursday, September 23, 2010

A text conversation

Out of the blue Matthew texted me tonight. Did I ask why the heck is was texting me? Did I tell him to just go away? Of course not. Here’s the conversation:

Matthew: “Hey Annabel. Why can’t I decide what I want to do? One minute I love it here and the next I want to apply for a job out of state.”

Annabel: “I don’t know. I wish I had answers for you. When I feel lost, it is usually time to go by faith and just know that everything works out the way it is supposed to. I focus on the things that I can control for the moment.

I think you’re feeling restless. I go through that every five or six years.

So I think I can empathize but not sure that I can give you advice or the answers.”

Matthew: “Wise words oh sage of Canyon.”

Annabel: “I try. But does it help?”

Matthew: “Actually yes…just knowing someone else understands.”

Annabel: “Well that I do. But I would suggest not making any hasty decisions. I think you need to figure out why you’re feeling restless rather than just acting on it.”

Matthew: “Are you sure you don’t want to be a counselor rather than a librarian? How is class going?”

Annabel: “Well, school counselors don’t counsel, they make schedules and do testing, so no, I don’t want to do that. Class is fine – keeping me busy with assignments due every Monday and Wednesday. I’m making good grades so far.”

Matthew: “Would there be any doubt”

Annabel: I’d reply to that, but will try to remain modest.”

And that’s the conversation. Perhaps I should have said something about his behavior, but I decided that I should just be kind and be understanding. If he continues to contact me, I’m sure I’ll eventually say something, but I got the feeling that he just needed an ear tonight. Don’t worry, I’m not being a pushover, just a friend for the moment.

Believe it or not, I spent time grading some papers this evening, but I did get to a point where I just can’t focus any more. I hope to get up early and do some grading at school before classes start. I really hope I can get caught up by the end of the day so I don’t have to spend all weekend grading.

3 comments:

Christina said...

You have a generous spirit and a big heart. Id probably would not have been so loving.

Good on you!

Patti said...

Ah, you know what, I would have done the same thing. :)

Leann said...

When I step outside my 'female' box and look at the world the way most men see it I find I don't get nearly as frustrated with them. They are very literal beings and don't pick up on the tiny nuances that the female population seems to live within. I'm betting Matthew is completely oblivious to anything being out of sorts. Or...if he is he is not going to broach the subject if you don't. Another guy trait. Guys are a lot like kids, they need to be shown where the boundaries lie.

Good luck with it all tho :-)