Monday, August 30, 2010

Annabel the Student

I don’t know why it is, but I like being a college student again.  I guess I like learning in general and the whole college experience.  Though today we had some very dry and uninteresting lectures, the main professor is very entertaining as well she should be since she also teaches the storytelling class.  I picked up my official student ID card so I feel like a real college student now.  I don’t know what I’ll use it for, but it’s kind of special.  I also went to the bookstore and got a UNT sweatshirt – mostly because the room we’re in is freezing, but I also wanted to have something that affiliates me with my university.  But is was a bit odd to be on a campus full of “youngsters.”  Being a non-traditional student feels a little weird.  I couldn’t help but think, “I wonder how many of these students are going to make it all four years.”  I just think today’s students aren’t really prepared for college. 

So far I’ve found that much of the information that is being presented is pointless for those of us that have been in the program a while.  They are coving some basic information like how to access the course materials and use programs like refworks.  Many of us that are toward the end of our programs have been doing this for three years.  So while all that was going on today, I worked on my lesson plans and got them submitted.  At least that is an accomplishment. 

Tonight I traveled to Fort Worth to have dinner with my uncle Dave, his wife, and my aunt Mary.  It was nice to be able to see them and visit with them again.  Dinner was good (baked Tilapia), pasta salad, and blackberry cobbler for dessert.  I stayed until about 8:30 and then called my former mother-in-law because she had called me and left a message.  She wanted to talk about my ex-husband (her son) and see if I knew what was going on with him.  I did know – he’s “shacking up” with a woman who just had a baby – not his as he is “fixed" and there was a falling out between him and his son.  I told her that I knew the general things that were going on, but didn’t really know anything beyond that.  It seems that he has not been in contact with her or his son since July. 

I finally talked to Matthew.  Have sent some text messages with no replies, but finally got one back this evening.  Instead of replying via text, I called him and we talked for about 10 minutes. 

Now I’m in bed and hoping I can fall asleep without the ambien.  I’ve been doing a little better and have been able to get to sleep without it.  I still wake up once or twice in the middle of the night, but so far have been able to get back to sleep.  I do think it would be better, however, if I could sleep through the night. 

Tomorrow should be a 1/2 day so I should get to leave early and make it home at a decent hour. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that the main prof was worth the whole effort!