Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Beer and a Magazine

There’s nothing quite like coming home and having a cold beer and finding a new issue of my favorite magazine, Mental Floss.  It was another exhausting day, but that’s still to be expected.  So far my classes seem ok.  No major problems.  They seem to like the project we’re doing right now so I can’t complain too much.  My to do list, however, just keeps growing and I find that I just don’t have time to get it all done.  I did get the prime time assignment done which is typically the bane of my existence.  It takes forever to write out, make copies, and send extra assignments to those students who cannot be with the general school population because of their behavior.  If I didn’t have these extra assignments, lesson plans, or extra duty, I’d be almost a happy teacher.  Unfortunately education seems to be less about teaching students but more about the pile of paper work and extra stuff that can be heaped upon teachers.

Today I stayed after school to go through the yearbook cameras so I could check them out to students tomorrow.  I’m trying to get going on yearbook assignments so we can meet some early deadlines this year.  If I survive until Christmas, it will truly be a miracle.  Grad school starts on Thursday.  I’m heading to Denton this weekend for classroom sessions of one of the classes.  I used Hotwire for my hotel reservation and think I got a pretty good deal.  Got a Holiday Inn Express for $44 a night.  At least I’ll be smarter, right?

I’m not certain about seeing Matthew tomorrow.  Haven’t heard from him yet, but I know he had a meeting tonight so we’ll see.  I’ll probably text him shortly.  I should be clearing memory cards for the cameras, but I think I’m just going to try to do that before school tomorrow.  I gave in last night and took the ambien because my son had friends over and they were a bit loud so I couldn’t really get to sleep.  Tonight I’m going to try going to bed without it.  I’m going to read my magazine for a bit and attempt sleep around 9:30 or 10:00.  I really hope I can sleep.  I have noticed that the better I sleep, the easier it is to get up in the mornings.  This morning I was ready to leave by 7:00 instead of 7:15 and that is really unusual for me. 

No comments: