Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A non-poopy day

I apologize for sounding, as Abbagirl puts it, "poopy" yesterday. I guess I'm having a hard time adjusting to being here at home all by myself with nothing to do. Oh, sure, I have plenty of things I could or should be doing, but they generally aren't pleasant. (Like ripping up the darn nail boards still in my floors) Today was a better day (so far). I didn't sleep very well last night and I didn't take my 1/2 tylenol p.m. I probably should have but I kept fighting it thinking I was tired enough to fall asleep. I guess I slept eventually. I had to get up early today (well, early for summer) at 7:00 a.m. in order to leave on time to get to Hereford for a training session that I signed up for.

I am one of those teachers at school that likes using technology and I would say that I am above average when it comes to knowledge of technology. There are many things I would like to be able to do in my classes, but unfortunately, lack of computers and other gadgets have kept that at bay to some degree. I often assign work that is completed on the computer (like typing a letter) that if I want to have a copy of it, students have to print it out and then I grade it and hand it back and then they make corrections and print it again, etc. Or if I want the file itself I would have to give students my jump drive and have them save the file for me and then pass it on to the next student. Unfortunately, not all of the computers in my room would recognize the drive so it got to be a pain. Luckily this year I have a new solution! Introducing MOODLE! My training session today was on how to use this program and I am very excited about it. There are all sorts of possibilities. I've been wanting to put assignments on the web, but haven't had the time to really do much with it. This program will allow me to create assignments AND the students can upload their files when they finish... whether it is a picture they find, something they write, a journal entry or a powerpoint. It is really cool. I've been jotting down ideas all day. One of the problems I face next year is the fact that I don't have enough computers. I emailed my principal today and asked for more computers. I don't know if I'll get them, but I won't know until I ask.

Although the session was supposed to go until 3:30 today, I was able to leave by 3:00 which allowed me to get to band on time. I was glad that I could be there. We have a guest artist that will play two solos with the band and he is an incredible trombone player. So I played in band for an hour, and then came home. It's really hot outside and I've had to break down and turn on the air conditioner. I am contemplating what I should make for dinner. I will try to get some pictures taken this week per the requests I've received.

2 comments:

Leann said...

We all have our "poopy" days girl.

You sound as if you have alot of technology knowledge. I can't even get links onto my blog for other blogs I read. I ahve to have my daughter hook up my vcr and dvd player to the tv cause ya, I can't figure it out. Pretty sad.

Terri said...

Yeah for non-poopie days! Mine has been half and half as I explained on my blog. Oh well, can't win them all. Sorry the sleeping thing isn't improving.