Friday, March 18, 2005

Jumped off the wagon

Even though I'm not Catholic (yet), I've been trying to follow the practice of lent in giving up things. I decided to continue my abstaining from fast food and alcohol as well as observing abstinence from meat on Fridays. I've actually done pretty well. Today was not to be an exception as we were planning on going to Red Lobster for dinner and I was going to have fish and shrimp. But this afternoon, without thinking I had leftover sausage pizza for lunch. It didn't even dawn on me until I was getting ready to go out to dinner. It may not be a really big deal and even Catholics have been known to cheat or not go through their giving up something during Lent, but I really wanted to make a concerted effort. Then tonight after dinner we came back to my aunt's mother-in-law's house to visit and I had some wine. I could have easily declined, but I didn't. Again, not a big deal, but I do feel a little bad about it.
But on the upside, I did get a lot of nice compliments on how I looked today. It made me feel good. And I had a really good time. Josh was disappointed that we didn't get the vanilla bean cheesecake for dessert, but I told him next time we went to Amarillo we'd go by TGIFridays just for dessert. It does sound good now, doesn't it?
I think I'll make an attempt to go to mass this Sunday. It's Palm Sunday so it should be special. I might as well just jump in, huh?
Nothing from Marty today. I'm hoping he'll call sometime this weekend, but if he doesn't, I'll be o.k. with it.
Well, I'm off to bed. It's been a long day, but I feel good that my house is clean. Now for the garage.... ugh.

1 comment:

Andrew said...

Yay! You are back online! Your blog fans rejoice! I hope this finds you well. Don’t beat your self up so much about Lent. You would laugh at my mother’s attempts at lent since she is catholic. She tried to give up meat but you would catch her sneaking a microwaved hot dog here or there. It would make us all smile. She has this thing for hotdogs.

I asked her the other day when was the last time she went to confession and she just shrugged. I berated her good heartedly. She just replied that she didn’t have anything bad to confess and she was probably right other than eating hotdogs during lent.