Monday, August 14, 2006

In hopes of a great year

I finally got my schedule today. I am very pleased. I have two debate classes, two oral interp classes, one communication applications class and two conference periods. Since I am teaching three preps, that extra conference will come in handy. I also have an aide during my 3rd period conference so I can use her for grading papers and such. Right now, my largest class is about 14 students. I am getting very excited about the year. It's going to be a lot more work, but I think overall, it will be a better teaching experience.

We had inservice this morning and we at least had a fairly entertaining speaker so it wasn't as drab as it usually is. But then the superintendent got up to speak and he's a nice guy, but just not a very exciting or really motivating speaker. I had a good time sitting with the band people. I'm going to have to make an effort to hang out with them more. They're pretty fun and I feel more of a sense of belonging with them. When it was finished, I went to McDonald's to get some lunch and then took it back to the school to eat.

I got the border put up around the material covering my bulletin board. I also got my mini-refrigerator brought up to my storage room. I started working on my filing cabinet and sorted a box of materials that I had. I'm still not very popular with the business teachers as they still seem upset about moving the stuff out of the storage room. I know it's a pain, but honestly a great deal of the stuff in there is obsolete. I've even volunteered my speech team kids to help move things out. I don't know when it will happen, but I'll remain hopeful.

Well, I'm just about to head out to take Josh back to the school for a band thing and then I have to go to choir rehearsal. It's going to be a long night... but not as long as tomorrow night. The day before school starts is always a long night.

2 comments:

Summer said...

Tell those business teachers to .. bite me. You need that space for YOUR stuff!

You're a great person Annabel! Really! So that makes you a great teacher. I'm glad you're excited about this year. I remember the beginning of last year and this one will be even better. I'm sure of it. It makes me feel good that there are teachers like you teaching kids like mine.

I had a patient today, that was a principal in a neighboring high school that I went too and he knew my principal. I told him that it was a million years ago, but, he didn't believe me until I told him the principal's name. It was nice to talk to him, he was responsible for opening up my sister's high school. You just never know the impact you will have on a person and what it will mean in the years to come.

Keep up the good work!

Susanlee said...

Good luck, your new schedule sounds great! Maybe you won't have any bad seed kids this year like you did last year...I'm excited for you. Hehehe Justin just drank a glass of dog food tainted water, I know that has nothing to do with your blog, but it's making me laugh right this minute...