Sunday, August 13, 2006

Time to get busy

So what am I doing instead of cleaning? Blogging, of course. I just got home a few minutes ago. I went to Mass at 11:15. Afterwards, I went to Hastings with our choir director for a coffee break (but I don't drink coffee... but had a chai tea latte instead). We had a nice visit and then I went to Walmart to get the makings for dinner tonight. And yes, I do have a great recipe for cashew chicken. I will paste it at the end of this post.

Today's agenda is to paint the mistake areas in Josh's bathroom, clear the stuff in the extra bedroom, clean the kitchen & living room. I have about 3 1/2 hours to get it done. I also will do some laundry, but it's not at a crucial point yet. Well, I've procrastinated enough.

Here's the Cashew chicken recipe. I'm posting it exactly as it is in my recipe book, but here's a tip: I usually buy the prepacked boneless chicken at Walmart that is 1.65 pounds. I have found that if I double the sauce ingredients, it comes out just right. I serve it with steamed rice.

Cashew Chicken

1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 red pepper sauce
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1/2 inch strips
1 large green bell pepper, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
1 medium onion, sliced
1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
2/3 cup dry-roasted cashews
2 green onions, sliced

1. Mix broth, cornstarch, soy sauce, ginger and pepper sauce.
2. Heat wok or 12-inch skillet over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the oil; rotate wok to coat side. Add chicken stir-fry about 4 minutes or until no longer pink in center. Remove chicken from wok keep warm.
3. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to wok; rotate wok to coat side. Add bell pepper, onion and water chestnuts; stir-fry 2 minutes.
4. Add cornstarch mixture to wok. Cook and stir about 1 minute or until sauce thickens. Stir in chicken and cashews. Garnish with green onion.

4 comments:

Andrew said...

Okay, your cashew chicken sounds delicious. You have just made me incredibly hungry. I printed the recipe out and am going to try it this week. I will have to run by Wal-Mart to buy me a cheap wok though.

Annabel said...

I have to say that it is one of the best dishes I make. The sauce is just yummy. You don't have to use a wok if you have a big frying pan. I use a wok because I got it as a wedding present.

Summer said...

Thanks Annabel! I'm going to try it.

Granny said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cashew_chicken

I thought you might be interested, I live in the general area so we have a lot of interest in Cashew Chicken.