Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Well, tomorrow is it

Am I ready? That's what everyone I run into is asking me. My pat answer is "Sure, I guess." I am planning to basically improvise the first day and possibly the rest of this week. One thing I am not going to do is have the same rules talk and information sheet that all the other teachers do on the first day. We'll just play some games and get to know each other first.

Today was another long day. I got to school by 8:15 after stopping at Walmart first. I got busy with things to do and before I knew it, it was lunch time. A local church made hamburgers for us, but it was kind of slow. They kept running out of them and we had to wait for more. My room is neat and tidy. I have roll sheets ready to go. My largest class has fourteen students. My smallest has eight. I did find out some very good news, however. We are getting the $2000 raise. I will also get my stipend, and the step on the ladder pay. I figured that I'll be making about $276 more a month than last year (after taxes). Well, at least that will go towards a car payment.

I drove home in a torrential rainstorm. I hydroplaned a little while driving home and had to slow down considerably in some spots. I picked up Josh from a friend's house and then we went to eat. We went to a local Mexican food restaurant and it was quite delicious. I was home for about 30 minutes before I had to leave to go to Mass. Today is the celebration of the feast of the Assumption of Mary and it is a Holy Day of obligation which means we are required to go to Mass.

I got home around 8:15 and I changed the sheets on my bed, took a shower and now I'm getting ready for bed. Although I probably don't need it, I will take half a tylenol p.m. just to ensure sleep instead of thoughts about the first day of school tomorrow. Josh tells me this afternoon that he has to print 38 pages of his English journal to turn in tomorrow. (Advanced classes have work over the summer.) Unfortunately, my printer isn't working very well. I finally was able to print it, but it's hot pink. Next, he tells me that he needs a notebook to put it in. I scrounge around in the garage and I locate a notebook. But now, I can't find a hole punch. If he would have just mentioned this BEFORE today, I could have brought everything he needed home. Why do kids wait until the LAST minute before they spring these things on you?

Well, it's getting late. I'm going to head to bed and I'll be sure to report on my day tomorrow. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Summer said...

Good Luck today and if you figure out why kids do that, let me know!