Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Note to Self

Don't go shopping after your first day back to teaching. I stood on my feet all day and then went shopping immediately after school. Well... I had to. I didn't buy Josh any back to school clothes before school started. So we went to the mall and he got some shirts and shorts. We had dinner there and then went to a couple of other stores. Then we went to the book store because I wanted to get a book on the great philosophers that I had seen a while back. We browsed there for a while and then left when it was pouring down rain. We went to yet another store for clothes. Josh wanted at least one more shirt and possibly a pair of jeans. My baby is finally grown up and we are no longer shopping in the boys section. He can now fit into a pair of men's jeans. Granted his size is a 30/30, but it works. So at the last store he got two shirts and two pairs of jeans. After that, we headed to Walmart to get school supplies and some groceries. I just now got home. My feet are sore and I'm tired. I still have a lesson plan to prepare for tomorrow. I may just wing it. And now my cat is reminding me that I forgot to buy canned catfood. I guess they'll have to survive on dry another night.

My day was good. I love my schedule so it wasn't too bad at all. I have a student aide during my 1st conference period, so she can help with some basic tasks. I have some great kids in my interp and debate classes. If everyone in the classes goes to tournaments, I potentially have a team of 35 students. I know that not all can go every time, but I should have a fair amount at each tournament. I am looking forward to the year.

Now on the bad news front, Josh is in the competitive speech class at his school and he doesn't even have a teacher. The librarian is going to be their sponsor, but he has nobody to actually teach him what he needs to know in class. Of course I'll help him, but I am really disappointed in the school system. They are really killing the program. That's one of the reasons why I chose not to apply for the job. They don't seem to care whether or not they are successful in speech. Although they do have a teacher that is teaching the comm. app. (basic speech) classes, he is also coaching soccer so they felt he couldn't do that and travel with the speech team... which is true. I just don't understand why they didn't hire a full time speech teacher that only teaches comm. app. Well... I do know why. They are trying to get the kids to take the class in the 8th grade which is a horrible idea. The class was designed for upper level students so they could be prepared for job or college interviews and dealing with people in the world. 8th & 9th graders are at an age that they can't comprehend the importance of the class. I also know that the way it is taught in junior high is NOT the way it is supposed to be taught. It is very frustrating.

O.k. I'm done ranting for now. I don't have time to go on as I need to at least read through the information that I need to cover tomorrow.

3 comments:

Summer said...

He's in a classroom for a full class period without a teacher? Is that what you meant?

Annabel said...

No, he goes to the library during that class since the librarian is their "sponsor."

Susanlee said...

I think this speech situation at Canyon HS is obscene. I knew I should have applied for that job.