Saturday, August 12, 2006

Online Banking

I really don't know what I would do without online banking. I am such a total technology geek. O.k., I'm not a total geek because I still don't use a palm pilot, but I am pretty geeky. When I opened my first checking account in college, I was pretty good about balancing it and not going into overdraft. I didn't know what the term overdraft meant back then, but I figured it out. I can't say that I've never done it... but it has only been on rare occasions. When duplicate checks became available (or perhaps they had been but I didn't know about them) I jumped on getting those. I hated to write everything down at that moment while standing in the checkout line. But when I got my first ATM card, I had to be careful. That's when I would sometimes go over my balance because I would forget certain transactions. In general, I keep a running tab in my head about how much money is in my account when I use my bank card now. How wonderful it has been, however, to have online banking. I am not certain how I truly lived without it. If I am ever in doubt, I go online and check my account. I have my own checkbook register that I created in excel. I generally keep up with my accounts on there and double check it with my bank online. I hate saving receipts and trying to find them to figure out how much I've spent. Now, usually within a day, I can see the amounts I've used on my bank card. It is a wonderful thing. I hardly even use checks any more. I pay all of my bills online. That is truly the greatest invention of all time for those of us that hated to take the time to write out checks, put them in envelopes AND then getting stamps. Usually my bills were a little late just because I had to always get stamps at the post office. (Well, now you buy those online as well.) The only time I write checks is for my tithing at church, when Josh has to pay for something at school and a few other occasions where a bank card can't be used. It brings joy to my soul every time I balance my checkbook in excel and it perfectly matches what the bank indicates is in my account. But, no, I should not have been an accountant. I tried taking accounting twice in college because I was a music business major and it just never made sense to me. That's when I decided to change majors. Well, now that I know how much is in my account, I'm going to head out and do some minor shopping today.

No comments: