Thursday, August 10, 2006

well, it's almost Friday

It's been a very long week. The hard part about being a teacher is having summers off (for the most part) and then suddenly jumping back into a regular schedule. I guess it's good that they ease us into it with inservice before actual teaching. I'm glad that we don't start school on a Monday. I think it's much better to have just a few days before going full speed. School for the students starts next week on Wednesday. Tomorrow is half of a work day and the other half is at the administration building. I really hope this year they have more interesting people talk. Last year it was all about making the students be enganged in learning and how important that is, but then they gave us no strategies for actually doing it. And the speakers that were telling us we needed to be interesting and engaged were boring as heck. I don't mean to complain, but I didn't feel like I got much out of last year's inservice.
Today we went on home visits. Groups of teachers went out and knocked on doors of students houses to welcome them back to school. It was interesting to see where and how some of these kids live. It's amazing that some of them do so well when they're living in very poor conditions.
I'm really tired at the moment. I didn't sleep well. I actually went to sleep at 10:00 and fell asleep, but then woke up at 11:30 with some gastrointestinal issues. I didn't get back to bed until after midnight and finally around 1:00 I took 1/2 of a tylenol p.m. I'm starting to sound like a junkie, huh? I think once school starts, I will sleep just fine. I will be so totally exhausted that I just crash.
I made pizza tonight and if I say so myself, it was quite delicious. It's one of our favorite meals around here, aside from spaghetti. Well, I'm up for a lazy evening in my recliner in front of the boob tube. I'm really almost too tired to think.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Are home visits a common thing for teacher's to do there? I mean, both of my kids are in college now and I have never, ever in 20-some odd years ever had teacher home visits.
well, except for the teachers who were family friends...ha.
The pizza sounds yummy!

Anonymous said...

heh heh... you said "boob tube"