Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Maslow's Hierarchy

I'm sure we've all heard of Maslow's hierarchy of needs to some degree. I am going to be teaching it to my comm. app. class tomorrow in hopes to get them to think about why they make certain choices. The hierarchy is a pretty simple concept. You have to first meet your most basic level of needs before you can move up to other needs.


We must first have our very basic needs of food, water, and shelter. Without those needs being met, we cannot move up to the next level of security. I think my friend Andrew is an excellent example of this. He was at a point where he was basically out of food and money and he thought of resorting to begging in order to satisfy his need. He didn't succumb to it, but it's an excellent example of how one might choose to do something they wouldn't normally do in order to meet those needs.

Next is the need for safety. Generally, as adults we have this. If we have a place to live, locks on our doors and don't live in an area of rampant crime, we generally have a feeling of safety and security. But this also includes financial security. Having a job or some kind of income is a big part of this. Again, Andrew faced not having this need met because of his father's reticence in helping him. But I admire Andrew’s fortitude and courage as he deals with having his needs met. He is finally making some decisions that will help him along that path.

Once these two needs are met, we can move on to social needs. I think this is one of the most crucial. We as humans have the need to love and be loved. We need friendships, and a sense of belonging to other humans. People that don’t have this need met, tend to make bad choices when it comes to relationships. In teenagers, it is often the reason they join gangs. Without the social aspect, people succumb to loneliness and a sense of alienation. For myself, I know that joining the Church has been a big part of meeting this need. I still have issues with my own shyness and lack of friends, but I do have a sense of belonging and have people that I know care about me.

The next level deals with esteem needs. At this level we achieve self-respect and respect for others. We feel confident and valuable. Generally people who have gotten to this point have activities give them a sense of purpose and contribution. We appreciate recognition, but it doesn’t go to our heads when have achieved this at its highest level.

And finally, if we can get to the top, we have self-actualization. At this point we know what our purpose in live is and we’re doing what we were born to do. We are able to accept others at face value, we appreciate the beauty in things, and have meaningful relationships with others. It may take a lot to get there, but it’s not impossible.

For me, I’m not certain where I fall in the scale. I know I have my physical and security needs met. For the most part, I have my social needs met but I think my desire for a relationship is hindering me from the next step. I am trying to let go it, but I think the more I try to do that, the more it comes back at me. So I guess that I need to get through this social level so that I can deal with some of my esteem issues. There are times I feel very confident, but mostly, I am unsure of myself. I tend to have a positive attitude most of the time, but I still question whether or not I’m doing what I’m called to do. But I do hope that some day I am able to get to the point of self-actualization.

Now I just have to think about this when I do make choices. Is my choice going to help me get to higher levels or is it a hindrance?

1 comment:

Summer said...

I can't seem to ever get beyond the safety needs.