Saturday, October 20, 2007

A Successful Day

I am actually back from the tournament believe it or not. They accelerated the schedule which allowed us to have awards around 5:30 instead of 8:00 tonight. My students did well. I have one student now qualified for TFA state. Amazingly, it is the student that wanted out of the class. I am working on a possible solution to that and hope to offer an incentive to class in exchange for giving them class time to work on contest materials. I'm also going to send the student that qualified a little gift and a note hoping to call a sort of "truce" between us.

Unfortunately no other events had enough entries to earn any qualifying points. I had several students do well, however, and the team won first place sweepstakes overall. My plan for this next six weeks is to give students two days a week to devote to working on their TFA qualifying events rather than class materials. They will have to sign a contract and work on at least two events. Those choosing not to work on extra events will have earlier deadlines on classwork and potentially extra class assignments. I think it's a fair deal for all. We need to have more people entered in events to help with the numbers and the students need extra time to work on the material.

I'm really tired. I didn't sleep well last night and had to get up way too early. I'll be in bed before 10:00 tonight, I'm sure. I'm trying to decide if I want to make myself something for supper or not. I'm almost too tired to eat.

3 comments:

marykay said...

Congrats on you amazing son and banner day! I hope you feel good that ya'll did so well.

Andrew said...

Good news is always good news. Congrats and I am glad the student who wanted out did so well. I know that made you feel better. Enjoy your Sunday. I assume you are getting ready for Mass. I wish I could go with you and go to church this morning. Take care Annabel!

Anonymous said...

Hehe, the black sheep ... This success and the gift may express appreciation enough not just for a truce, maybe peace.