Thursday, October 25, 2007

Taking a break from grading papers

It's the start of my first conference period. Yes, I'm very lucky that I have two conference periods.... but believe, I usually work from the start of the first one, through lunch, and until the end of the second one. That's 2 1/2 hours of work.

I was able to get some papers graded in 1st & 2nd period. I have just a few more personal profiles to read. It is an assignment where students write a paper about themselves covering all sorts of aspects - likes/dislikes, prejudices, social situation, economic etc. They are very interesting to read and I learn a lot about my students that way. I wrote one as well and have let my students read it. I posted it in my blog in March of 2006 through several posts if you're inclined to read it. I also have quite a bit of make-up and late work to grade. I don't mind creating and giving assignments - but the grading stinks.

So here's my to-do list for today:

Grade papers
Update NFL points
Update speech website with points, tournament results and calendar
Turn in absence request for WT tournament
Research trophy prices
Create a language/nonverbal communication test
Print charade topics
Update grades in Gradespeed
Clean my office? (might be wishful thinking)
Get tournament book ready for this weekend
Turn in money to office
Hopefully eat lunch - I'm already hungry!

I'm sure there's more I could add, but that's all I can think of at the moment. I should be working on all of that right now, but I really needed a quick break. I think I also need a coke. I've needed to answer a few questions I've received in comments, so here goes:

Summer: Yes I have to buy a ticket even though I'm helping at the festival. They have like 30-40 volunteers and can't afford for them to participate without paying.

Andrew: No, I haven't heard from Marty in months. I'm sure when I'm least expecting it, he'll pop up and say hello or something, but I certainly don't hold my breath. I stopped using instant messaging almost a month ago and that's where he would usually say hello, but again... I hadn't talked to him in months.

Sherri: I've tried exercising and honestly, I just don't have the time or the energy. I know.. it's a catch-22, but it's out right now. I tried doing it this summer and then had other things to do and I just can't keep up with it enough for it to be worthwhile. I used to take an aerobic dance class I loved, but I can't afford the gas to drive to Amarillo two days a week.

Carol: (sent via email) I responded back to your email. Did you get it?

I want to thank all the people that have commented on my blog lately. I appreciate it very much! I'm trying to get back to commenting more myself... sometimes I barely have time to read blogs, so I don't always have the time to comment. Just know that if you're in my list, I read you every time you post (through google reader, so it might not show up in your stats). If you've recently started commenting and you have a blog, I do read yours as well.

Well, I should quit wasting time here and get back to work. Anyone want to help me grade some papers?

3 comments:

Summer said...

Don't worry about commenting or even reading. You're one busy woman and I can wait till winter break. Or... even summer.

Get some rest and take care of you.

Andrew said...

I agree with Summer. You take care of yourself and don't worry about commenting. Although a comment from you means almost more than any other I receive. Hope you've had a good day. I was just wondering what Annabel is up to. The time difference mixes me up. I bet you are getting you and Josh up something to eat and I forget what night Monk comes on. Take care, hon.

Mama Llama said...

I have to say, you mention the parts I really do *not* miss that much! Just don't forget to take your sanity breaks, as well-deserved as they are!