Friday, June 15, 2007

Crude Beginnings

I have been writing to some degree since about the eighth grade. It mostly started with getting my feelings out in dealing with crushes. I also wrote a lot of poetry in junior high and high school. (Cheesy stuff... but you can't expect much from an 8th grader!) I have this green notebook that I have kept many of my writings in. I guess you could say that I'm a pack rat as I have had some of these things since 1984. Since I'm having a hard time finding things to write about, I thought I'd share with you some of my early writings just for a change of pace. This was written when I was in the ninth grade I believe. I've added some comments that are italicized for clarification or for additional information.

  • It all started at band camp when I was in the 8th grade. I met Bret C. and I fell in love with him. (Bret is my Baptist preacher friend that I've mentioned before.) He was cute, funny and a likable person. I decided right then and there that he's the one I'd chase after when school started. One night I asked Kirsten, my roommate, why she didn't introduce me to him sooner. Nobody but Kirsten knew that I liked him because I was too embarrassed to tell anybody. As soon as school started, word got around and I was so embarrassed! After he found out I didn't want to get near him or even talk to him but I still stared at him in band. I would look at him but I would turn away as soon as he looked in my direction. As time passed I got braver and I started to talk to him. Once I decided to give up and go after somebody else and I actually did - sort of. I liked another guy for about 2 weeks but I had to go back to chasing Bret. I just couldn't resist. I kept liking him on and off. One day another guy asked me to go with him but I was still in love with Bret. I didn't know what to do. I said that I'd tell him my answer Monday. I finally decided to say yes. I thought I'd chase Bret the next year and go with Michael until school was out. (Michael was my first kiss which happened in front of the house I'm in now. He is also Josh's band director now.)
To be continued....

No comments: