Saturday, June 23, 2007

Home finally

Made it home in one piece. I am so glad to be back. I looked through my mail and then immediately changed into pajamas and plopped here on the bed. I'm reading a few blogs and then I'm going to take a nap because I'm exhausted after seven hours of driving. I realize that I've been going on about the events and such I observed and judged at the tournament I was at, but understandably many of you have no idea what I'm talking about! Here's basically what is going on.

I am a speech and debate coach/teacher. My students compete in a variety of speaking, acting, interpretation, and debating events. They generally compete all year long in varying events for different kinds of tournaments. Most of the year is spent on TFA (Texas Forensic Association) tournaments which allows for certain kinds of events. To qualify for state students had to earn points by placing at different TFA tournaments during the year. They have to earn 8 points (last year - will be 10 this year). Points ranged from 6 or 8 points for 1st place (depending on number of entries) down to 1 pt for placing 6th-8th generally. (There's a chart that shows how points are determined.) My students participated in about 7-8 TFA tournaments this year in addition to hosting a TFA tournament at our school. I had 6 students qualify for TFA state with some students qualifying in multiple events.

During the spring, they focus more on UIL (University Interscholastic League) events which are different in some ways. UIL is a state based organization for ALL schools in Texas and basically is what manages all school competitions from Academic events to sporting events to music. It is a great opportunity for students to earn scholarships when they qualify for state. To qualify for UIL state, students had to compete at the District level and place 1st, 2nd or 3rd. From there they went to regionals and also had to place 1st, 2nd or 3rd. From there, they qualify for state.

The tournament my students were involved in this past week was part of the NFL (National Forensic League), however. NFL has many similar events as TFA, but a few are different and in some ways the rules are a bit different as well. To qualify for NFL nationals the students had to compete in a district tournament and place 1st or 2nd. They may compete in two events at the district tournament, but if they place in two events, they then have to choose one event for nationals. At nationals, they have 6 preliminary rounds that are guaranteed. After those six rounds "breaks" are posted and students with low scores (ranks of 1,2,3 for the most part in each round) go on to rounds 7-8. From there, they keep cutting students until they get to the top 6 students that make finals. If they are out after round 6, 7, or 8 they can then enter supplemental events. If they get out of supplemental events after round 4, they can enter consolation events.

I don't know if this makes any more sense to you, but here is a link to part of our speech team website that explains the organizations and events. Comment if you have any questions.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you teach the fine art of rhetoric! The basic art of the roman empire and the beginning "Neuzeit" - I think it's translated with early modern history. I will follow your links. Thank you!

Leann said...

It must be nice to be home in the comfort of your own bed.

Thank you for explaining how the competitions work. It actually made sense! LOL

Enjoy your day.

Billy said...

Viva Las Vegas next year! I may have to make a trip!