Monday, June 11, 2007

Overwhelmed by the Kitchen

I didn't get up quite as early as I planned, but I did get going on the cleaning by 9:00 a.m. I started clearing out everything in the bottom cabinets. I have way too much stuff. I moved here with some kitchen items and my mom had a full set of kitchen stuff as well. I sorted through a lot of it when I moved in and got rid of several things but kept quite a bit because you never know when you might need a big roasting pan. I'm thinking I really don't need half a dozen pie plates. Although I don't make pies, I use them for some things I cook in the oven, but that means I probably really just need one. I have all sorts of baking pans, glass cookwear, etc. that I just don't use and need to get rid of. I just don't know what to do with it. I can give it to charity, but that means I have to pack it all away and have them pick it up or take it and drop it off.
My mom was a cook. She was a very good cook and could bake anything. I do enjoy cooking but find I don't have the time very often. I just need to cut back on everything and keep it to a manageable size. I really just want to gut my kitchen and start over. I hate the cabinets, the tile... just about everything about it. I did paint it a very bright green a few years ago when my mom was still here to brighten it up, but the paint is wearing off in places and it just looks like crap at the moment. The inside of the cabinets are still a dark brown and I hate it. My dad in his infinite wisdom retiled the kitchen floor with white wall tiles. So any time the floor gets wet it's as dangerous as an ice rink. The floor has cracks and chips in it and it's horrible as well. Anyone got a bulldozer I could borrow?

No comments: